Grapefruit Essential Oil
An exceptionally refreshing purifier, grapefruit oil is renowned for its broad spectrum of uplifting effects on the body and mind. Like other astringent citrus oils, grapefruit essential oil is believed to restore smoothness and suppleness and to beautify the skin. Its stimulating effect also helps boost the effectiveness of massage.
Reviving, uplifting and imparting emotional buoyancy, the fragrance of grapefruit essential oil is considered especially beneficial due to its ability to ease tension from daily stress. A mild euphoric, it can soothe and uplift the emotions and spirit and help balance a tired and overstimulated nervous system. Its light, zesty aromatic profile imparts those same qualities upon inhalation.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Profile
Floracopeia’s pale yellow grapefruit oil is expeller pressed from certified organic fruit in South Africa.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil can be applied topically, as a compress, in the bath, through direct inhalation or used with a diffuser.
- In the Diffuser: Grapefruit is a universally appealing scent that is versatile and can blend with almost any oil. As with most citrus, it will uplift the mind and emotions and freshen the air to everyone’s liking. Reach for this oil to lighten up your diffuser blend if it has become too heavy, floral or medicinal smelling.
- Aromatic Bath: Add several drops of grapefruit oil to warm bath water for an uplifting and skin smoothing experience.
- Air Freshening: Add several drops grapefruit oil to a tissue and place in your car to rejuvenate and deodorize. Grapefruit, with its fresh citrus notes, will replace stale air with a scent of sunshine brightness.
Please use safety precautions, because citrus and the sun are incompatible. Citrus oils, including grapefruit, are phototoxic, and can damage your skin if rubbed on the skin and exposed to sunlight.
Read more about citrus oil and the sun.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Recipes
- Tummy Massage: 4 drops grapefruit oil, 4 drops peppermint oil, 2 drops ginger oil and 2 drops fennel oil in 15 mL of marula or other carrier oil.
- Smooth Skin: 6 drops grapefruit oil, 2 drops cypress oil, 2 drops rosemary oil and 4 drops lemon oil in 15 mL of grape seed oil.
- Garden Insect Spray: 2 drops grapefruit oil, 4 drops mandarin oil, 2 drops lavender oil and 2 drops roman chamomile oil in 4 oz bottle. Spray affected leaves.
Safety Considerations for Grapefruit Essential Oil
Like other citrus oil, grapefruit is considered non-toxic and non-irritant. Being a member of the citrus family, grapefruit may be photo-toxic; therefore, avoid UV exposure for at least 8 hours after topical application. Do not take grapefruit essential oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Odor: Fresh, sharp, bitter-fruity, refreshing
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium to strong
- Blends Well With: Basil oil, palmarosa oil and rosewood; florals such as geranium oil, chamomile oil, jasmine oil, lavender oil and ylang-ylang oil; citrus oils, including lime oil, mandarin oil, bergamot oil, neroli-petitgrain oil, neroli oil and lemon oil.